Musashi South Carolina to Expand in Marlboro County: Automotive and ATV Supplier Adds 120 Jobs in Bennettsville

Contact: Clare Morris, S.C. Department of Commerce, 803.737.0402

Musashi South Carolina to Expand in Marlboro County: Automotive and ATV Supplier Adds 120 New Jobs in Bennettsville

Columbia, SC--Musashi South Carolina will expand its Marlboro County operations, adding 120 new jobs at the company’s Bennettsville facility. The new jobs will be added at the company’s location in Marlboro County Industrial Park, where existing buildings will be expanded by 15,000 square feet.

Musashi is expanding to fulfill orders for new contracts that have been recently awarded to the company’s growing automotive group. Currently, 47 percent of Musashi South Carolina’s business is related to the automotive market, while the other 53 percent is related to the ATV market. Under the new contracts, Musashi will now be supplying automotive parts to Visteon, Dana, and Honda. Dana is a new customer for Musashi’s automotive division.

“We are very pleased with these new opportunities to grow our automotive business,” said President of Musashi South Carolina, Inc. Shigeru Okubo. “This expansion will add to our capacity and ability to serve our automotive customers, especially in the growing Southeast. Our decision to expand here in South Carolina was fueled by the excellent support we’ve received from the state and Marlboro County. In addition, we’ve consistently been able to recruit and retain hard-working associates here, so we look forward to increasing our South Carolina workforce.”

"We've been focused from day one on ways to make our state's rural economies more competitive in a rapidly-changing world," said Gov. Mark Sanford. "This announcement from Musashi is obviously a big step forward on that front, and we're going to continue our efforts to give local economic development folks the tools they need to make more announcements like this possible. That's ultimately what lowering the income tax is all about. We've taken steps on that front to make our state more competitive, but we need more income tax relief if we're serious about creating jobs and growing the economy, not more government."

“Our automotive industry is an integral part of the cluster strategy that we’re using to create and protect jobs in South Carolina. As automotive manufacturers and suppliers recognize our many competitive advantages, South Carolina will continue to attract attention in the Southern Automotive Corridor,” said Commerce Secretary Bob Faith. “We welcome the expansion of Musashi, one of our state’s outstanding corporate citizens. And, we look forward to supporting this company as it grows the automotive portion of its business.”

“We are happy that Musashi has seen the value of additional investment in Marlboro County. We appreciate this company as a good corporate citizen and welcome the additional opportunities to employ our workers.” Hubert Meggs, Chairman Marlboro County Economic Development Partnership

“Marlboro County is excited that Musashi has appreciated the opportunity we in rural South Carolina have successfully provided them. Because of their success here, they have chosen to expand their investment in the good people of our county. For this we salute them.” F.S. “Butch” Mills, Jr., Executive Director, Marlboro County Economic Development Partnership

“We are pleased that Musashi SC has chosen to call Marlboro County home and wish them continued success.” Ken Allen, Chairman, Marlboro County Council

“Musashi continues to be a good corporate partner of Marlboro County. We wish them continued success.” Anna K. Hubbard, Administrator, Marlboro County

An industry leader in precision forging and machining, Musashi was originally formed in Japan in 1938. The company opened its South Carolina operations in the year 2000. In its 120,000-square-foot main plant and 10,000-square-foot assembly plant in Bennettsville, the company produces ATV gears and assemblies and automotive differential gears, all manufactured to exacting tolerances. Products from the facility are shipped to Michigan and to automotive facilities throughout the Southeast.

Vicki S. Wooten
Executive Assistant
Office of the Secretary
South Carolina Department of Commerce
1201 Main Street, Suite 1600
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: 803-737-0442
Fax: 803-737-0894
www.sccommerce.com

See 11349 other posts submitted by John Warner. Find articles, people, and videos related to: Automotive